Winter is that time of the year when all you want to do is curl up on the couch and keep warm. This may sound tempting but with Margaret River at our doorstep, we know there are plenty of activities to do in the region that will have you loving Winter. Here are our top 5:
1. Coffee, coffee and more coffee. With so many new cafes popping up on the main strip of Margaret River, you will be sure to find the perfect cup o’joe. Our favourite is Blue Ginger. This organic cafe is a popular spot for many locals, searching for their morning espresso. After you’ve had your coffee fix, why not check out the Margaret River Farmers Market, open every Saturday from 8am – 12pm. Explore the market for gourmet delicacies and seasonal delights such as fresh fruit, veggies, olive oil, locally raised meats, bread and handmade cheese.
2. Do you love the outdoors and taking in the beautiful scenic views around Margaret River? Then why not explore the coast and follow some of the local winter trails. Wander down the popular Rails to Trails walk or visit Boodjidup Beach and the Wilyabrup Cliffs. It might be winter, but the views cannot be missed, just be sure to pack a warm jacket.
3. If you’re not up to braving the outdoors, this next activity will be for you. Margaret River offers some of the most amazing luxury houses for short term stays. Some of our top picks would be Margaret River Beach resort or Seaside homes. Sit back, relax with a glass of local wine and take in the views. Holidays aren’t always for adventures, why not relax for a few days with your favourite book or spend time with friends and family.
4. Indulge in a relaxing massage, spa treatment or de-stress with a yoga session. Some of our top day spas in Margaret River include Bodybliss and Hanu Day Spa. Once you are feeling absolutely relaxed, why not wonder over to Gabriel Chocolate for free tastings of the day’s fresh chocolate and hand-made chocolate-dipped gelato bars.
5. A trip to Margaret River wouldn’t be complete without a winery visit and of course a stop into Xanadu Wines. A selection of our top wines are always on tasting at our interactive cellar door, where modern sheen meets rustic charm. The knowledgeable and friendly hosts talk passionately through the range of wines on offer at the tasting bar. The view out of the window is of the Lagan Chardonnay block where some of our highest quality chardonnay grapes are grown on some of the oldest vines in the region. It’s a chance to understand a true sense of place and history, while gaining a clear understanding of what Margaret River wines are all about and why it is such a premium wine producing region.
Next door our beautiful restaurant serves up modern European dishes to complement an impressive wine list. Head Chef Melissa Kokoti and her team take inspiration from local producers, neighbouring farms, the sea as well as what is seasonally grown in the Xanadu vegetable garden.